Wings for West Africa is a 501(c)(3) corporation whose mission is to support the education of students, teachers, parents and administrators in rural secondary schools in West Africa, beginning with Senegal, in an effort to reduce the growing “digital divide” which exists between the United States and the developing world. Wings partners with local non-profits to train teacher-technicians to use the Internet as a gateway to resources otherwise inaccessible.
What we do:
With the help of its partners…
• Wings collects, re-formats, refurbishes and ships computers to schools in communities which lack access to the Internet.
• Wings trains teachers in the use of information technology to support the established curriculum.
• Wings trains teachers in installation and maintenance of computers.
• Wings develops self-sustaining programs through small user fees charged to outside users.
• Wings supports community development by making school computer centers accessible.
• Wings creates opportunities for educational and cultural exchanges between American and African schools.
• Wings respects the environment by keeping donated computers out of landfills.